Web design and development is basically the process of creating a website and involves two major skill sets – web design and web development. Web design decides on the look and feel of your website, whereas web development determines how it actually functions. Your website should be easy for users to go where they want to go and do what they want to do, so each web design is to make the website user friendly, so people visit and constantly interact with it.
- Useful tips for creating a website:
Think about what your customers want to know, not just what you want to tell them.
- Use professionals to help you. An unprofessional website can potentially put customers off.
- Update your website regularly, especially if you include information about your prices.
- Make sure your contact details are correct and easy for your customers to find.
- Promote your website in your marketing material and include it on your business cards.
- Find out how you can make your website easy for search engines, such as Google, to find. This is called search engine optimization (SEO).
Depending on your needs, website development costs anywhere between $100 and $500. If you need a feature-rich, custom-built website, it can go as high as $30,000 or more.
A typical website will take 14 weeks at a minimum from start to launch. This includes 3 weeks discovery, 6 weeks design, 3 weeks initial development, and 2 weeks of modifications. It could take much longer if you wait until the end to start writing content.